Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Are you being a good disciple?

On the road to Damascus, Saul, a persecutor of Christians, is visited by God.  After the Lord has spoken to Saul, he speaks to a disciple named Ananias. (Acts 9:10-16)
"Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, 'Ananias.'  And he said, 'Here I am, Lord.'  So the Lord said to him, 'Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying.  And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.'  Then Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem.  And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name."
(Key verse)
"But the Lord said to him, 'Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel.  For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake.'"

It hit me as I was reading this; we, as Americans, are so spoiled!  How much do we suffer for His name??  Oh dear, a person might think we're weird, or maybe they won't invite me to their family picnic...that's all bunk!  There are people dying every single day for Jesus Christ.  There are people in prisons, who will never be able to see their children grow up.  There are people who are tortured for their faith; and we're worried about our social image?  I'm preaching as much to me as I am to you!  We need to not lay back and think everything is going to work out and your best friend is just going somehow get to heaven; YOU may be the tool God wants to use to wake that person up!  But if you are a keeper of the aquarium, instead of a catcher of the fish how are you going to increase the tank?  I've got news; it won't happen.  So it's time to get off our butts and start asking Him, "Who am I supposed to be a blessing to today?  Who am I going to be able to share with?  What is Your plan for my day?"  God has called us to be disciples and I don't know about you, but I've been way too slack lately; it's time to get back on track.

<3 Mik

2 comments:

  1. Very powerful and convicting... so true babe... it's always good to be reminded of our purpose... God has not called us to be aquarium keepers but deadliest catchers :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this today...preach at me, sista! I love you!

    ReplyDelete